Mbarara hospital cancer center
Welcome to Mbarara Hospital Cancer Center, one of the Uganda’s leading cancer programs. We combine our innovative research and powerful therapeutic breakthroughs with a human, compassionate touch that honors your very personal cancer experience.
We are here for you, just as we have always been here for you. We offer you, still, the best chance for the best outcome and a commitment to safety for you and for our entire cancer community.
We know that amazing happens every day. Often what others consider ordinary is actually extraordinary and amazing. During recent times of change, it’s been our ability to see and experience the everyday amazing in ourselves, in each other, and in you that have enabled us to endure and to thrive as a community with an unwavering commitment to provide the best care to you. We will always be here for you.
Patient & Family Resources
We are dedicated to treating the whole person. The physical, psychological and spiritual needs of patients and their families are all vital to achieving positive cancer care outcomes. We offer a wide variety of education and support resources to help patients and their families.
Preparing for your Visit
Being prepared for your visits will benefit you in many ways. You may have a better experience and feel less stress by following the helpful hints outlined below.
Any Visitor policy at the moment??.,……………….
Prior to Your Visit
Know your insurance coverage
Learn about your insurance coverage and limits, and bring your insurance cards and referrals to your visits. Depending on your treatment, you may need additional authorizations or referrals during the course of your care. Our financial counselors are available at …………………to help answer any questions you have.
Cancer Information Center
To ensure that your appointment goes smoothly, it is important for us to have the most up-to-date information.
Prepare a list of questions
Before your appointment, prepare a list of questions for your care team. Bring a notebook and pen, or a tape recorder to help you remember the information from your clinic visit.
Each patient’s cancer journey is unique. We understand that you have questions and concerns. Remember that every question is a valuable one. The list below has some examples of questions you might want to ask your care team.
- What type of cancer do I have?
- What is the extent (or stage) of my cancer?
- What are my treatment choices?
- Should I get a second opinion?
- Are clinical trials an option for me?
- What are the side effects of my treatment?
- How can I learn more about my diagnosis, my treatment and how to cope?
- Will I experience pain?
- How can I deal with my fear and anxiety?
- What do I say to my children, significant other, family and friends?
- How do I get information on advanced care planning, including a health care proxy form?
- What if I have financial or insurance concerns?
- How do I learn about integrative/complementary therapies?
- Can I talk with someone who has been through this before?
- What happens when my treatment ends?
- How will I balance cancer care with the demands of my normal life?
- Where can I find more information about my cancer?
- Will I have any physical limitations?
Day of Your Visit
Bring the following information:
- Any images (such as X-rays, MRIs or CT scans) or test results that have been requested (If your images or test results were done at Mbarara Hospital, you do not need to bring them.)
- The names and telephone numbers of all your doctors
- A list of all prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and supplements or herbs you take, as well as any therapies such as acupuncture that you are using
- A list of any allergies or reactions to medications
- A list of questions for your care team
Arrive on time
Do your best to arrive on time. If you know you will be late or miss a visit, please call us.
We offer several parking options, including ………….
Accessing departments in the hospital
Visitors can get around the Mbarara Hospital by using the via any means, and important to note is that all departments can be accessed on foot. If you need a wheelchair or any assistance traveling between buildings, please ask our staff or volunteers.
Our Cancer Center community is dedicated to continuing to provide you with the highest quality care while keeping you safe. To ensure this, we now offer in-person visits and Virtual Visits
Virtual Visits are conducted through your phone, electronic device, or computer and allow you to see and talk to your provider face-to-face.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does the team need a copy of all scans (CT , PET, and MRI) on a CD?
We upload the images on to our electronic medical record system so that all of your care providers can review them. We ask the Mbarara Hospital General Department of Radiology to review them formally and document their findings.
Why do you need my biopsy slides?
Mbarara Hospital General’s Department of Pathology reviews the biopsy slides and renders an opinion. A report from another hospital is not sufficient.
What medical records do you need?
We need all of the medical records pertaining to your cancer diagnosis.